A Halifax vet hospital says a dog died from blue-green algae exposure after just five minutes in Long Lake.
The Animal Hospital of Halifax says the 10-year-old golden retriever named Buddy was playing in the lake on Saturday when he suddenly became ill and started vomiting.
The hospital says Buddy was rushed to the emergency room, where he was treated for life-threatening symptoms including seizures, respiratory distress and kidney failure.
Despite efforts to save him, Buddy died on Sunday.
The hospital says the dog’s death is a reminder of the dangers of blue-green algae, which can be found in freshwater lakes and ponds across Canada.
Blue-green algae is a type of bacteria that can produce toxins that are harmful to humans and animals.
Symptoms of exposure to blue-green algae can include skin irritation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, headache, muscle aches, abdominal cramps and dizziness.
If you or your pet come into contact with blue-green algae, the hospital says you should rinse the affected area with clean water and seek medical attention immediately.
The hospital says it’s important to keep pets away from water bodies that are known to have blue-green algae blooms.
The hospital says it’s also important to keep pets hydrated and to avoid letting them drink from water bodies that are not known to be safe.